A Local Butcher Near Ellicott City

My friend Patti told me about this place, but she had never been there herself. I looked it up, found the address, and made a plan with my husband to visit J.W. Trueth and Sons. You can check out their website here: www.jwtreuth.com.

The sign says "fresh killed" and they mean it! This place brings the live animals in through the back door, processes 100 cows per day, and sells the impeccably fresh product out front, in addition to shipping wholesale meat across the country.

Located at 328 Oella Ave in Catonsville, really just a stone's throw from historic Ellicott City, the place is tucked away on a narrow, winding, single-lane country road. You would never stumble across it if you weren't looking. But once we found it, our shopping experience was very pleasant.

The butchers working the counter are friendly and knowledgeable. We purchased a couple of lamb shanks ($8.99/pound) as well as a whole beef tongue ($6/pound) and some sliced turkey breast ($6.99/pound). They offer fresh beef, lamb, pork, veal, and poultry in addition to deli meats, cheeses, frozen seafood, and other specialty items. The butchers were all interested in what I was going to do with the tongue, asking lots of questions. Apparently none of them eat tongue!

I cooked my beef tongue yesterday in the crockpot. I added a tablespoon of pickling spice, a tablespoon of salt, and a few bay leaves, covered it with water, and set it on low for about 8 hours. Once cooked, I removed the skin (it came off very easily) and sliced off a few pieces to eat for my dinner. It was delicious! So tender and moist. Similar to pot roast, but with the flavor of corned beef.

If you are looking for a real, old-fashioned, neighborhood butcher shop where the meat is fantastically fresh, you must give Trueth's a try. Unfortunately, they do not (at this time) carry organic or grassfed meats, but the product is local and you cannot find anything fresher.



#hocofood

Comments